Medicore Medical Services Blog

Welcome to our blog. We have set this up a way to discuss topics relating to medical topics and all things first aid. Feel free to get involved.
Medicore.ie

Airway obstruction from accidental ingestion of a live fish

Airway obstruction from accidental ingestion of a live fish
A recent report from the British Medical Journal details an incident of airway obstruction due to a ingestion of a live fish... We present a case of a fisherman who swallowed a live fish, which resulted in severe upper airway obstruction. The firm attachments of the fish's external fins and scales to the airway limit the removal when impacted. We outline our emergency airway management strategies and focus our discussion on the technique used to remove the impacted fish from the upper airway, which was paramount for the successful outcome of this case.
Continue reading
Tags:
Rate this blog entry:
23088 Hits
0 Comments